Last updated: October 2009
This appendix presents sample forms for assessing IMG performance in the workplace, for the following assessment methods:
Multisource feedback (360 degree assessment) forms:
Assessment forms for structured supervision assessment are available via the CPMEC website.
Descriptors of Competencies Assessed during the Mini-CEX
- Medical Interviewing and Communication Skills:
- Facilitates patient’s telling of story; effectively listens and uses questions/directions to obtain accurate, adequate information needed; responds appropriately to affect non-verbal cues.
- Physical Examination Skills:
- Follows efficient, logical sequence; balances screening/diagnostic steps for problem; informs patient; sensitive to patient’s comfort, modesty.
- Professionalism/Humanistic Qualities:
- Shows respect, compassion, empathy, establishes trust, attends to patient’s needs of comfort, modesty, confidentiality, modesty.
- Counselling Skills:
- Explains rationale for test/treatment, obtains patient’s consent, educates/counsels regarding management.
- Clinical Judgment:
- Selectively orders/performs appropriate diagnostic studies, considers risks and benefits, arrives at an accurate diagnosis or differential diagnosis and identifies effective management strategies.
- Prioritises; is timely and succinct.
Overall Clinical Competence:
Demonstrates judgment, synthesis, caring, effectiveness and efficiency.